Wednesday 14 December 2011

Sometimes, the unexpected happens...

Recently, our world seemed to be boiling over with the vampire craze.
Everywhere were..."Are you Team Jacob?" "We love Edward!"
Duh. You know the drill.
Of course, there's Harry Potter. But that's another story.
I didn't really like Twilight...Wait a minute...Hold it...Chill...please...
Let me finish this.
It's kinda sweet, but...halfway through Eclipse, I surrendered.
My friend (NOT me!) said it was corny. Well...I...have nightmares.
Okay, hold your laughter, please don't laugh! I just can't help it, but every time I read a book or watch a movie (especially horror movies) about vampires, I couldn't help feeling a pair of very sharp canines about to sink themselves into my sensitive and delicate neck.
Well, you get the picture.
However, true, that didn't stop me from reading Don't Let The Right One In.
So, you can see, this isn't the MAJOR SOLE reason.
Erm...HEY!..by the way, Twilight didn't gave me one. Not even a goosebump.
Truth is *Shrug* the problem with Twilight is :The love story's just too sappy. It's too unbelievable.
*Shrug* Sorry.
Top it all, the action is pretty bland...there's nothing to distract me from th eicky sweetness of love...and *sigh* love's just everywhere. You can't even get a break.
So, when I see The Host by Stephanie Meyer on the shelves in a library, I wasn't very much interested, despite the very much short intriguing narrative on the back of the book.
But...long holidays could be quite boring so I decided to give it a try.
I think you probably get it now: it was...well...fascinating.
It's still full of love, but the kind of sacrificial love that hauntingly forever etches on your mind.
"A fantastic, inventive, thoughtful, and powerful novel. The Host will keep you reading well into wee hours of night, and keep you thinking, deeply, hauntingly, well after the final word." -----Ridley Pearson, author of Killer Weekend
You know what? I did read the book until almost three in the morning, and I would have keep on to finish it if my mom was not on the 'lookout' for me.
Stephanie Meyer really did opened up my eyes for me.
Today's lesson: Don't judge the book by its cover. (Pardon the pun)
By the way, also read the Don't Let The Right One In.
It did gave me the extra goosebumps and of course the necessary aldrenaline rush.
Of course, the love story is as haunting and eerily beautiful as it could be.
They are unexpectedly awesome!

p/s. Dear ElizabethInProgress, now you get my book review!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Challenge me. Criticize me. Inspire me.

I dare you to dare me. With your amazing comments.

Truth (no guts) or dare (comment)?